Job TitleJunior Financial Manager
Employment TypeFull Time
Experience2 to 4 years
Job Published22 June 2022
Job Reference No.10103957
Responsibilities to include supervision and training of support staff within the finance function (such as Creditors, Debtors, Bookkeepers, Finance Admin Clerks, Interns, Junior Financial Accountants and Financial Accountants); production of budgets; monitoring and implementation of financial controls, including monthly reconciliations to ensure all accounting transactions are processed; internal and external reporting (such as monthly management accounts and annual financial statements), including commentary on results; tax management, including reconciliation of VAT and income tax; and liaison with Operations and their respective managers on results on a monthly basis on results.
- At least 2 years commercial experience
- Computer competency: Pastel Evolution or similar Accounting Software
- Microsoft Office
- Finance related degree
- Oversight over preparation of annual budgets and working with FM and Group FM to finalise approvals.
- Set monthly deadlines for all team members for management accounts, working paper files, vat, etc.
- Review and submission of monthly management accounts including analysis/commentary.
- Review of high-risk balance sheet reconciliations and overall monthly working paper files.
- Review of monthly VAT reconciliations.
- Review of and approval of payments, together with accurate capturing of invoices in the accounting system, ensuring IFRS and tax compliance.
- Review and/or preparation of quarterly reports for board and risk and finance committee meetings.
- Review of year end working paper files for external audit purposes.
- Liaison with external auditors during interim and year end audit to ensure all queries are responded to.
- Liaise with the various departments and regional/operational managers to ensure efficient reporting.
- Review and approve non routine transactions (depreciation, impairments, provisions, finance costs/income, discounting, management fees, administration fees etc.).
- Review and approval of payroll reconciliations and team payments.
- Enforce thorough review and timeous settlement of inter-company trade accounts, loan accounts, shareholder loans, bank loans, bank facilities, creditors, SARS (Income Tax, PAYE, VAT) in line with agreed payment terms.
- Drive continuous improvement in supplier terms.
- Identification of control weakness, designing of internal controls and implementation thereof.
- Maintenance of fixed asset and wear and tear registers.
- Review and approve adequate reassessment of useful lives, depreciation methods and residual values for tangible and intangible assets quarterly.
- Review and approval of the profit and loss on asset disposals.
- Review and approval of stock count variances.
- Review and approval of petty cash expenses count variances and required top up.
- Ensure that all inter-company balances are reconciled monthly.
- Assist the BEE project team to ensure the improvement and sustenance of the various companies BEE score. Review procurement within the entities and ensure we meet the required targets. Ensure that updated BEE Certificates are kept on file for audit purposes.
- Support the Financial Manager and Group FM with specific projects and reports and data extractions.
- Working with other Junior Financial Managers on group wide initiatives and processes to align.
- Review of the group betting taxes.
- Review and oversight of all new products/platforms.
- Living HW values of Service Excellence, Commitment, Integrity, Accountability, Enthusiasm, Ubuntu and Innovation.
- Direct supervision and mentoring of the Finance team
- Creation and maintenance of roles and job descriptions and KPIs for your direct report subordinates, including annual performance reviews.
- Attend to disciplinary issues which include PIP’s, warnings and hearings
- Sourcing, attendance and performance of training as and when needed for staff.
- Adequate recognition of staff efforts.
- Sustainable morale and team building initiatives.
- Recruitment and related interviews.
- Talent retention.
- Succession planning (through effective mentoring and counselling).
- Promote declaration of all gifts and non-acceptance of kickbacks. Instances to be reported immediately
- Promote declaration all conflicts of interest upfront.
- Promote a culture of confidentiality within the business with regards to the protection of personal information.
- Ensure all personal information of loan applicants and suppliers and other stakeholders is not shared and is maintained in a secure environment.
Compliance, risk and quality
- Attendance at necessary training sessions.
- Maintenance of department process write-ups/ system descriptions and annual updating.
- Ensure logical saving of all work, templates, etc. monthly and yearly such that each year’s financial records can stand on its own when enquiries/ investigations/audits take place.
- Produce high quality, neat, logical, succinct, easy to follow, easy to understand, formula linked work/templates/workbooks/financial models.
- Ensure the above (final version) and other documents are chronologically saved/backed up and appropriately named.
Skills and Competencies:
- Must be able to identify, analyse, organize and solve problems and issues in a timely and effective manner.
- Impressive planning, organisational, project management and time management skills.
- Must be able to take accountability.
- Must show strong leadership skills.
- Must be able to take initiative.
- Must be results oriented.