Job TitleChief engineer & Manager / 40mm & 37mm Products
Employment TypeFull Time
Experience4 to 6 years
Job Published13 December 2021
Job Reference No.4244192360
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To execute development programs of an engineering nature as part of a project team. To direct and control the technology building blocks for current and future 40mm and 37mm product variants. To provide technical support for series production. All of these activities are conducted within Customer's technical, schedule and cost requirements. In addition, the position requires the fulfilment of a line management function for the sub-group “40mm and 37mm Products” in the 40mm, SAD and Fuzes Department.
Key Performance Areas:
- Manage and lead the technical activities of the 40mm and 37mm development team including resource management / allocation as well as other line management functions.
- Fullfil the role of Technical Authority on design, development and testing as part of the 40mm and 37mm development team.
- Work with project managers and other team members to ensure the integrity of project planning inputs. Ensure technical requirements are met within the budgeted and committed cost and time scales.
- Provide input to future technology demands and assist in establishment of capability.
- Represent company on national and international forums on relevant subject matter.
- Perform computer-generated simulations, design and stress analysis of mechanical components and systems.
- Write technical reports and make presentations to Management, local and/or foreign clients.
- Oversee and participate in technical investigations.
- Mentor and guide junior engineers and technical team members.
- Oversee the generation of accurate engineering drawings.
- Responsible for Qualification test instructions and Qualification reports.
- Participate when required in flight tests at test ranges and writing of test reports.
- Ensure design conformance to product technical requirements.
- Design and oversee the manufacture of associated equipment used in prototype testing.
- Oversee and assist in preparation of manufacturing data packs.
- Provide technical support during series production of 40mm and 37mm products.
- Generation and approval of concessions and Engineering Change Proposals (ECPs) on relevant products.
- Remain informed through literature studies, symposia or networking of the latest developments and activities in the field
- Minimum degree in Mechanical Engineering (BEng or BScEng), with a postgraduate degree (Masters) in Mechanical Engineering (MEng or MScEng) preferred.
- Technical team management experience required with a management qualification preferred.
- Minimum 10 years relevant experience in Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum 5 years experience in the defense (preferred) or other high tech. industry.
- Experience and understanding in the field of gun launched systems (Propulsion, fragmentation and payloads).
- Advanced simulation capabilities (FEA packages, Matlab, etc.)
- Advanced mechanical design capabilities using 3D Design (Solid Works / Solid Edge) and PLM (Team Center) software packages.
- Experience in Project Management and Problem Solving.
- Strong leadership qualities, and the ability and experience in managing a technical team.
- An advanced level of computer literacy is essential, i.e. design and data analysis software.
- Able to work independently or interactively as a member of a team.
- Self-motivated with creative and innovative mind.
- Good problem solving and relationship skills.
- Good interpersonal, facilitation and conflict management skills.
- Good communication, planning and organizing skills.
- Fundamental computer literacy: MS Office packages (Excel, Word, Outlook), online collaboration tools e.g. Webex Meetings